In order to increase our testing for server code and prevent long time blockers and sudden server dropping. We will use no-ip service to enable setting up a static address for the devs local server to be used / connected to remotely/publicly.
- To do that you will need to register for the no-ip service (it’s free) and create a hostname using their free dynamic DNS service. (use the default settings [record type: A.. etc.])
- you will also need to download and link their dynamic update client from here
After setting up no-ip you need to setup your router and pc to allow external connections. and allow those specific ports on both.
Photon used ports are:
TCP: 843, 943, 4530, 9090
UDP: 5055, 54052, 5050
Note: It seems that only 5050 is now in use (Both UDP & TCP). The others may not be needed any more.
- on the router:
- You need to assign to your pc or device that will run the server a static local ip, this should be under DHCP binding.
- Next up you will need to port forward connections to your device ip, there should be a port forwarding section depends on the router model but usually it should be under NAT or Firewall option in the router settings page. Make sure to forward both TCP & UDP. You only need to forward ports 5055.
- On PC/device:
- you need to allow the ports in the firewall, also make sure if you have any antivirus to allow the the photon executable as well as its connection.
Lastly you will need to update photon.config xml file located in “Server\Photon\Server\deploy\bin_Win64\PhotonServer.config.xml”,
change all the ‘0.0.0.0’ ips to the local ip you have set to your device on the router.
The server should now allow external connections, but notice that you won’t be able to use your external ip address to connect to it you will have to use the local ip address + the port number.
Also using the local option won’t work but you will connect using the local ip anyway
When letting other devs connect to your server give them your hostname created using noip + the ballistic port configured in photon by default it should be 5055.
If you are deploying without the bootstrapper then you need to set the server ID in the registry key: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Forgotten Mines\GameServer